- n the ratio of live births in an area to the population of that area; expressed per 1000 population per year
- The lowest birthrate ever recorded in Berlin was that for the third quarter of 1923nine per thousand.
- In 1975 the birthrate sank to 14.
- The birthrate for teenagers ages 15 to 17 is about 22 per 1,000, while their older peers ages 18 and 19 are having three times as many babies, almost 74 for every 1,000.
News & Articles
- 121 South Korean schools have no newcomers
SEOUL, June 18 (UPI) -- Data indicate 121 of 6,203 elementary schools in South Korea did not recruit any new students this year amid the country's low birthrate.
June 18, 2013 - UPI
- Jim Rogers in International Herald Tribune
If the current birthrate, which is the lowest in the major developed countries, continues, there will be no Japanese,Jim Rogers, who co-founded the Quantum fund with George Soros in 1970, said last month. "Who will pay the enormous debt?"
- Diane Francis in Lifesite
A planetary law, such as China's one-child policy, is the only way to reverse the disastrous global birthrate currently of one million births every four days,writes Francis.
- Yuriko Koike in Newsweek
The ongoing issues of the lower birthrate and the aging society have been going with such speed that the national design of how to respond to that has not caught up yet,said Yuriko Koike, a television reporter turned politician (Japan's first...