- n plant materials and animal waste used as fuel
- n the total mass of living matter in a given unit area
- Chip Somodevilla Getty Now a new study makes the case that ethanol isn't even the greenest way to use biomass as a fuel.
- You think ethanol from corn kernels is environmentally friendly? How about gasoline made from cornstalks? Bioforming, a new catalytic technique for converting biomass materials .
- The new findings imply that controlling biomass combustion, particularly the small-scale burning of wood and dung for home heating and cooking common throughout Asia and Africa .
News & Articles
- MSU planting poplars to generate biomass for power
MSU planting poplars to generate biomass for power (AP) — Michigan State University has planted the first of six plots of poplar trees as part of an initiative to generate power from renewable sources. The 10-acre plots will grow fuel for the university's T.B. Simon Power Plant, the East Lansing school announced this month. "Through a process called torrefaction, MSU scientists can create a ...
June 16, 2013 - San Francisco Chronicle
- Biomass to Energy (Analyst Version) - The World Market for Biomass Power Plants 2012/2013
DUBLIN, June 13, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Research and Markets ( http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/8m8z8z/biomass_to_energy ) has announced the addition of the "Biomass to Energy (Analyst Version) ...
June 13, 2013 - PR Newswire via Yahoo! Finance
- Maine biomass plants among first in world to obtain sustainable certification
AUGUSTA – The owners of four biomass power plants in Maine, including those in Stratton and Livermore Falls, were at the State House on Thursday to announce the companies' recent certification for the Sustainable Forestry Initiative standard.
June 13, 2013 - The Lewiston Sun Journal
- Ted Strickland in Washington Post
This project will help jump-start the biomass renewable energy industry here in Ohio and also serve as a model for projects throughout the US,Strickland said in a statement.
- Jack Keir in TheChronicleHerald.ca
They're into biomass. They're into nuclear reactors, offshore wind and solar,he said.
- Achim Steiner in Nigeria Daily Independent
But in order to realise only a few percentage points more of the massive potential for wind, solar, biomass and waste into energy schemes, action across a range of challenges needs to be stepped up,he added.