- n a cyclotron that accelerates protons up to several billion electron volts
- On Charter Hill above Berkeley, Calif, a strange and monstrous machine, the AEC's bevatron, was slowly coming to life last week.
- When the chamber was bombarded by extremely powerful particles from the Berkeley bevatron, some of the tracks looked as if they were made by mu mesons, which are knocked out of .
- The great bevatron at Berkeley creates antiprotons (protons with negative charges, in fair quantities.
- Darrell Huff in Wired News
It is 135 feet across, cost $9,500,000 and contains more than 9,500 tons of iron, 225 miles of wire, and 2,400 vacuum tubes,wrote Darrell Huff in Popular Science. "This is the bevatron, just completed, the most powerful atom-smasher yet...