- n the action of an armed force that surrounds a fortified place and isolates it while continuing to attack
- v surround so as to force to give up
- v cause to feel distressed or worried
- v harass, as with questions or requests
- Two months later Marshal Bazaine, whose faith in a defensive war led him to hole up in the fortress at Metz, surrendered his 180,000 men to the besieging Prussians.
- No wonder parents are besieging the offices of psychologists and psychiatrists in their search for remedies.
- Through his inability to tackle the various criseseconomic, political, epidemiological and now constitutionalbesieging Hong Kong, Tung has inadvertently politicized the city .
News & Articles
- 'White House Down' an action-packed absurdity, reviews say
It's unlikely anyone was expecting master disaster director Roland Emmerich ("Independence Day," "2012") and action-comedy hunk Channing Tatum ("G.I. Joe," "21 Jump Street") to deliver a tense, realistic political thriller in "White House Down," the second movie this year about terrorists besieging the Oval Office while a lone hero tries to save the free world.
June 28, 2013 - Los Angeles Times
- Confederations Cup Italy vs. Brazil: Player Ratings for Italy
Italy have finished second in their group after succumbing to a 4-2 defeat at the hands of the host nation Brazil . The Brazilians deserved the victory after besieging the tired Italian defenders for most of the match. Italy will now face Spain in the next round of the Confederations Cup. As always, here's the official Matteo Bonetti ratings scale: Official Rating Scale 0.0 - 2.5: Elvis ...
June 23, 2013 - Bleacher Report
- Asif Ali Zardari in International Herald Tribune
But Zardari said the government had many other things to do besides "besieging the president."
- Ayman al-Zawahri in Mail & Guardian Online
On the contrary, "their attempts will lead to choking jihad and besieging the mujahedin", said Zawahiri, wearing his trademark turban and beard.
- Bashar Assad in AFP
For decades, Israel was considered a gentle lamb seeking peace in the face of besieging wolves, including the Palestinians, the rightful owners of the land,Assad said. "A state built on occupation and the massacre of Palestinians, can it...