- n Irish philosopher and Anglican bishop who opposed the materialism of Thomas Hobbes (1685-1753)
- n a city in California on the eastern shore of San Francisco Bay; site of the University of California at Berkeley
News & Articles
- Berkeley: Second man charged in February slaying
BERKELEY -- Two men were charged with murder Wednesday for the fatal shooting of 34-year-old Zontee Jones in broad daylight in Berkeley in February. Jevon Calland, 21, had a motive to harm Jones and had threatened him in front of witnesses the day before Jones was shot to death, Berkeley police
June 20, 2013 - Contra Costa Times
- Berkeley Democrats to meet Saturday
The Berkeley Democratic Party will have its regularly scheduled monthly meeting at 9 a.m. Saturday at Gilligan’s Restaurant, 582 Dock Road, Moncks Corner. Breakfast is $13. The speaker will be state Sen. Vincent Sheheen. Attendees must preregister at
June 20, 2013 - The Post and Courier
- Berkeley Lab confirms thirdhand smoke causes DNA damage
( DOE/Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory ) A study led by researchers from Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory has found for the first time that thirdhand smoke -- the noxious residue that clings to virtually all surfaces long after the secondhand smoke from a cigarette has cleared out -- causes significant genetic damage in human cells.
June 20, 2013 - EurekAlert!
- Les Miles in Shreveport Times
I would like nothing better than to play USC for the title,Miles said recently. "I can tell you they have a much easier road to travel. They're going to play real knockdown dragouts with UCLA and Cal-Berkeley, Stanford - some real...
- President Bush in Washington Post
Berkeley claims to be the site of America's first official Thanksgiving. The good folks here say that the founders of Berkeley held their celebration before the Pilgrims had even left port,Bush said as the crowd of 500 erupted in wild...
- Christopher Edley in Washington Post
My sense is that the vast majority of legal academics with a view of the matter disagree with substantial portions of Professor Yoo's analyses, including a great many of his colleagues at Berkeley,Edley wrote.