bench : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a long seat for more than one person
- n a level shelf of land interrupting a declivity (with steep slopes above and below)
- n persons who administer justice
- n a strong worktable for a carpenter or mechanic
- n the magistrate or judge or judges sitting in court in judicial capacity to compose the court collectively
- n the reserve players on a team
our team has a strong bench
- n (law) the seat for judges in a courtroom
- v take out of a game; of players
- v exhibit on a bench
bench the poodles at the dog show
- These days the bench is mostly empty.
- With the game heading into overtime, Yi came off the bench to score 13 points in five minutes to seal the victoryand secure Guangdong's place atop the standings.
- And if they play the World Series for 100 more, Don Larsen may still be the only man to take on 27 batters from a league champion and send 'em all back to the bench.
News & Articles
- 'Bench Mobb' rules in Mississippi State's dugout
OMAHA, Neb. (AP) -- There's never a dull moment in the Mississippi State dugout thanks to a group of players who call themselves the ''Bench Mobb.''
June 22, 2013 - The Associated Press via Yahoo! Sports
- Bench Mobb latest embodiment of Bulldogs’ mojo
A big part of this run has been the self-named Bench Mobb, which is responsible for the unbuttoned shirts and other assorted goofiness.
June 21, 2013 - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal
- 5 MLB Bench Players Who Would Excel on Other Teams
Being a bench player in the major leagues is a difficult job. One has to be prepared at any time to come off the bench and contribute in a key situation in a short amount of time. Some successful bench players have also been able to transition to the next stage in their careers and contribute to their team's cause on a daily basis as a starter. These five major league players are currently not ...
June 21, 2013 - Bleacher Report
- Sven-Goran Eriksson in The Associated Press
I spoke to him after training yesterday evening and he said he preferred to be on the bench,Eriksson said. "He said 'Boss, if you need me, I am there.' I hoped we would not need him, but we wanted to win the game so we did what we did. We...
- Ray Allen in The Canadian Press
We had a conversation at the end (of the game) on the bench and a little bit in the locker room just now and we take complete responsibility,he said. "We just put us in such a hole early. It affects our bench. We didn't give them any great...
- Manmohan Singh in Earthtimes
A beaming prime minister in his inaugural address said "today is a very special occasion for our country ... (for) this airport terminal establishes new global bench marks: and it also exemplifies our country's resolve to bridge and bridge fast the...