- n a fire (usually on a hill or tower) that can be seen from a distance
- n a radio station that broadcasts a directional signal for navigational purposes
- n a tower with a light that gives warning of shoals to passing ships
- v shine like a beacon
- v guide with a beacon
- Pilots flying the night mail through fog and rain that blanket all ground lights, follow a trail of dots and dashes which flow from radio range-beacons into their earphones.
- The first flare-off of natural gas from the Snohvit (Snow White in Norwegian) gas field, some 90 miles (145 km) offshore, was a beacon of promise: After 25 years of false starts .
- The ground beacon, identifying itself in International code (which the pilot can hear), sends out signals in "reply" to the aircraft.
News & Articles
- Free Beacon latest conservative outlet attacked by hackers after Drudge hits
The Washington Free Beacon yesterday became the latest victim in a wave of cyber attacks targeting conservative news outlets. The Beacon, in what appears to be a coordinated assault, joined National Journal and radio station WTOP as a target after certain articles were featured on the Drudge Report, one of ...
June 12, 2013 - The Washington Times
- Former Beacon Journal photographer dies at home
LAKE TWP: Former Beacon Journal photographer Ted Walls was passionate about photography and used his skills in his missionary work even after he retired.
June 12, 2013 - Akron Beacon Journal
- Beacon to break ground on building in Elkhart
Beacon Health System officials are planning to break ground Wednesday on a new Elkhart General Home Care building.
June 10, 2013 - South Bend Tribune
- Barack Obama in Guardian Unlimited
We are a beacon of light around the world. At least that's what we can be again. That's what we should be again,Obama says. "When we break out of the conventional thinking and we start reaching out to friend and foe alike, then I am...
- Gordon Brown in Telegraph.co.uk
Gordon Brown, the Prime Minister, said: "The facade of her prosecution is made more monstrous because its real objective is to sever her bond with the people for whom she is a beacon of hope and resistance."
- Mark Zuckerberg in MSNBC
Now, regarding the aforementioned fake apology, Zuckerberg writes: "When we first thought of Beacon, our goal was to build a simple product to let people share information across sites with their friends."