- n a bridgehead on the enemy's shoreline seized by an amphibious operation
the Germans were desperately trying to contain the Anzio beachhead
- n an initial accomplishment that opens the way for further developments
the town became a beachhead in the campaign to ban smoking outdoors
- Claims Hart: "It's a beachhead that has been established.
- From the beginning there was no doubt that the Allies' beachhead thrust at Nettuno was full of hazard.
- Then they moved to the Anzio beachhead.
- John Kerry in AFP
The United States is not in Afghanistan to make it our 51st state -- but to make sure it does not become an Al-Qaeda narco-state and terrorist beachhead capable of destabilizing neighboring Pakistan,Kerry wrote in The Washington Post.
- Eric Schmidt in USA Today
Schmidt described Google's corporate search engine as "a strategic beachhead for solving interesting problems" in corporate America.
- Laura DiDio in Computerworld
Apple has a beachhead in business. Where it once had just 1-to-2% market share in corporate, now they're up to 8-to-10%,DiDio added.