- n an early Christian church designed like a Roman basilica; or a Roman Catholic church or cathedral accorded certain privileges
the church was raised to the rank of basilica
- n a Roman building used for public administration
- Last November, the Catalan Green party (icv) suggested that the basilica be transformed into a "center for interpretation" to inform visitors about the repression and suffering .
- The Pope is likely to be buried in a crypt beneath the basilica, near 147 of his predecessors.
- Kennedy prayed at the basilica every day in 2003 as his daughter, Kara, was successfully treated for lung cancer at a nearby hospital.
News & Articles
- The Fortnight for Freedom Returns
Tonight, the Fortnight for Freedom will kick off with a Mass at the Basilica of the Assumption in Baltimore. I suspect that this year, even more than last year, the Fortnight will be a dud, garnering little attention beyond the choir.
June 21, 2013 - National Catholic Reporter
- Minneapolis gears up for Secret City; Dog Day at MIA
St. Paul has Northern Spark; Minneapolis has Secret City, with more sensible hours. Starting at 6 p.m. on Saturday, ending at midnight, it’s jam-packed with places to go and things to see and do on the Convention Center Plaza, the Basilica of Saint Mary – Minneapolis Sculpture Garden area, along Hennepin Avenue downtown and the Midtown Greenway further south. The Basilica underpass will be lit ...
June 21, 2013 - MinnPost
- Video: Floodwaters damage Pius X Basilica in France
CBS News Raw: Video shows water flooding through the entrance of the Saint Pius X Basilica in Lourdes, France.
June 20, 2013 - CBS News
- Andrea Cordero Lanza di Montezemolo in WorldNetDaily
There has been no doubt for the past 20 centuries that the tomb is there. It was variously visible and not visible in times past and then it was covered up. We made an opening (in the basilica floor) to make it visible at least in part,...
- Francesco Marchisano in San Diego Union Tribune
No other monument in the world has had the contribution of such celebrated architects as the new St. Peter's Basilica,said Cardinal Francesco Marchisano, archpriest of the basilica, citing Michelangelo, Bernini, Raphael and others.