- n the state of being banished or ostracized (excluded from society by general consent)
- n rejection by means of an act of banishing or proscribing someone
- The banishment cost him his fighting prime.
- Anatoly Marchenko, a well-known dissident Soviet author, was sentenced in Kaluga last week to four years of banishment, probably to Siberia.
- He talked about the injustice of Muhammad Ali's banishment from boxing for avoiding the draft a man whose job was beating people up losing his livelihood because he wouldn't .
News & Articles
- First look: Can iOS 7 give Apple back its mojo?
Back in February this year I wrote, ìA new design and look for iOS will be nice (as will the banishment of skeumorphism), buy in many ways it is not essential from the perspective of pure functionality.î It would seem that this is indeed the approach that Sir Jony Ive and the design and software engineering teams have taken with the new iOS 7 beta. With iOS 7, the iPhone still functions in ...
June 12, 2013 - MacNN
- Gordon's long-term future is in question
Josh Gordon's two-game suspension is minor when you consider the consequences of the Cleveland Browns wide receiver's next mistake. According to The Plain Dealer, Gordon faces a one-year banishment from the NFL if he fails another drug test. This means the Browns have to re-evaluate the long-term future of Gordon, and as a result, their entire wide receiver position. No one is suggesting that ...
June 9, 2013 - ESPN Blogs
- 150 YEARS AGO: Boonville woman claiming to be British subject could not claim neutrality, officer says
ST. LOUIS — A Boonville woman claiming protection from banishment because she was a British subject had forfeited her claim to neutrality by traveling to and remaining in Arkansas for more than a year
June 6, 2013 - Columbia Daily Tribune
- John Paul Stevens in Washington Post
The severity of deportation - the equivalent of banishment or exile - only underscores how critical it is for counsel to inform her noncitizen client that he faces a risk of deportation,said Justice John Paul Stevens, who wrote the opinion...
- Bal Thackeray in Times of India
If BJP's Varun Gandhi merely uttered something in an aggressive manner in interests of Hindus, the so-called secular elements demanded his banishment from poll arena,Thackeray, whose party is contesting 22 of the 48 seats in Maharashtra, said.
- Bart Giamatti in MLB.com
At the news conference in New York announcing Rose's "banishment for life," then-Commissioner A. Bartlett Giamatti said he believed Rose bet on baseball, including on the Reds.