- n East Indian tree that puts out aerial shoots that grow down into the soil forming additional trunks
- n a loose fitting jacket; originally worn in India
- The banian's charge for a bushel of wheat: two bushels at harvest time, the equivalent of 100% interest.
- The last part of this lame story is obviously untrue, but it may be that behind the beard of many an "Al banian" who incited his comrades' sur render or rebellion grinned the .
- John Metaxas' name went upon the defense system thrown up along the Bulgarian and Yugoslav borders, which were later extended hastily down the Al banian.