- n any heavy material used to stabilize a ship or airship
- n coarse gravel laid to form a bed for streets and railroads
- n an attribute that tends to give stability in character and morals; something that steadies the mind or feelings
- n a resistor inserted into a circuit to compensate for changes (as those arising from temperature fluctuations)
- n an electrical device for starting and regulating fluorescent and discharge lamps
- v make steady with a ballast
- A chance discovery sends a fledgling ballast-water-treatment firm on a beauty detour--skin care.
- Their combined weight, coupled with the shifting of water in the vessel's ballast tanks, was meant to tip the ship in hopes of freeing it.
- A pair of landlubbers--overseen by sailors--had their hands on the controls that guide the submarine and empty its ballast tanks during the rapid ascent.
News & Articles
- Research and Markets: Ballast Water Treatment Systems Market: Asia Report
Research and Markets has announced the addition of the "Ballast Water Treatment Systems Market: Asia" report to th
June 17, 2013 - Business Wire via Yahoo! Finance
- Ballast Point Brewing Enters the Seattle Marketplace
You are reading Ballast Point Brewing Enters the Seattle Marketplace by Kendall Jones, as originally posted on The Washington Beer Blog. You are reading Ballast Point Brewing Enters the Seattle Marketplace by Kendall Jones, as originally posted on The Washington Beer Blog. Another noteworthy out-of-state brewery is coming to Seattle. A while back there were rumors that this was going to happen ...
June 11, 2013 - seattlepi.com
- Asian Ballast Water Treatment Markets Shows Exponential Growth
SAN ANTONIO, Texas -- The Asian ballast water treatment systems market is highly lucrative and is expected to show tremendous growth over the next 6 - 7 years. The market is still in the growth stage; ...
June 11, 2013 - GlobeNewswire via Yahoo! Finance
- Daniel Inouye in Washington Post
There is no doubt that ballast water legislation that stems the tide of invasive species entering our waters from ships needs to be passed immediately,Inouye said through a spokesman.
- Bertrand Piccard in Wired.co.uk
People talk of 'pioneer spirit', thinking that the pioneers are the ones who develop new ideas,Piccard tells Giussani. "Not so. It's easy to have new ideas. The pioneers are those who have the courage to throw a lot of ballast overboard....
- Steve Kagen in WOOD-TV
Then it's in our court and Congress must create federal standards on ballast water and preventionof increasing aquatic invasive species, Kagen said.