bald cypress :
- n smaller than and often included in the closely related Taxodium distichum
- n common cypress of southeastern United States having trunk expanded at base; found in coastal swamps and flooding river bottoms
News & Articles
- Ancient forest found preserved under Gulf of Mexico waters
MOBILE, Ala., July 9 (UPI) -- Scuba divers say they've discovered an ancient forest of Bald Cypress trees preserved underwater in the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Alabama.
July 9, 2013 - UPI
- Underwater forest found off Alabama coast
Alabama's Bald Cypress forest had been hidden under the sea for thousands of years.
July 9, 2013 - GlobalPost
- Underwater Forest Excites Scientists In Alabama
An underwater forest of Cypress trees has been discovered off the coast of Alabama, and scientists believe it might have been uncovered by Hurricane Katrina. The Bald Cypress forest has been hiding beneath ocean sediments for more than 50,000 years, …
July 9, 2013 - WebProNews