- n a bright green fabric napped to resemble felt; used to cover gaming tables
- He saw snooker, with its colored balls and green baize, as the perfect format to exploit the new color TV technology and launched the show Pot Black in 1969.
- As newsmen sneakily cribbed from one another at tables covered with green (baze? baize? beise?) cloth, the girls were toppled by persiflage, ephelis, additament, cacolet.
- The Man is Lancey Howard, undisputed king of stud poker for more than 30 years, and he knows that the crusty young challenger across the baize means to gut him.
- Ken Doherty in International Herald Tribune
It's a very sad day, not only for snooker but also for the sporting world,former world champion Ken Doherty said. "He had everything, the world at his feet, and it's such a shame. He had the looks. We called him the 'Beckham of the baize,'...
- Stephen Maguire in RTE.ie
You have to stand up to him and show him you're not going to be bullied on a snooker table,Maguire said. "I fancy myself as a bit of a bully on the baize so I'll try to bully him. You have to play your own game. You don't have to showboat...
- John Parrott in BBC News
Paul certainly brought a touch of glamour to the game - they called him 'the Beckham of the baize',Parrott told BBC Five Live. "And his performances at Wembley were fantastic. To win three titles was tremendous. He was a happy-go-lucky...