- n any of the seats occupied by backbenchers in the House of Commons
- The claims The most senior of the Tory backbench MPs claimed $8,600 over nine months for the maintenance of his garden.
- Any open challenge would likely come first as trial balloons from backbench "stalking horse" candidates, who could never win.
- He faces another backbench revolt over his plan to put some hospitals under local control and private finance, and his long quest .
- Malcolm Turnbull in Sydney Morning Herald
I am not going to run a commentary on Tony Abbott, lots of people ran commentaries on me when I was leader but I'm going to be more measured in my backbench remarks,Mr Turnbull told reporters in Sydney on Thursday.
- Dan McTeague in Globe and Mail
But at the end of this, I'm a backbench opposition member,Mr. McTeague said. "The prime minister has the resources and the capabilities to do far more than I can in this case. I'm really encouraging him to sit down and at least speak to...
- Daryl Melham in Melbourne Herald Sun
Chris Pearce can say whatever he likes from the Opposition backbench and try and garnish votes, but what it shows is he's a dope in terms of responsibility,Mr Melham said.