- n a pointed tool for marking surfaces or for punching small holes
- Alfred Jarry was the kind of humorist for whom laughter was a rictus; he dug for the cheek nerves with an awl.
- In an adjoining room, pillowed in a pool of blood, stabbed through the skull eleven times by some sharp instrument such as an ice pick or an awl, was a murdered man, a roomer in .
- It helps me right awl stiles two reed, And aides me when aye rime.
News & Articles
- Mykki Blanco
Betty Rubble: The Initiation by Ellen Cushing "Rap music is good now because rappers aren't afraid to be weird," Dave Bry declared in an (excellent) essay on the website The Awl back in 2011. But even then, no one could've quite predicted the performance-art persona invented/inhabited by Michael Quattlebaum and now known as Mykki Blanco — a gender-fucked, generally fearless, self-described "acid ...
June 12, 2013 - East Bay Express
- Twitter Is Just A Giant Office, So Know How To Navigate It
Twitter has the constant buzz of an infinite workplace. When you say something stupid, it gets around. And around. "What Twitter has done," New Yorker writer David Grann told the Awl not long ago, "is create an extended office culture where you see another side of colleagues. I like that because being a writer is pretty isolating, especially when I'm working on a book." Grann's observation doesn ...
June 11, 2013 - Fast Company Magazine