- n cancellation of civil rights
- The champions of the last Plantagenet also cite a bill of attainder, or disqualification, brought by Henry VII against his predecessor after Richard died at Bosworth.
- The Court called Congress' action a "bill of attainder"and gave Congress the hardest rap in more than a decade.
- The majority opinion, written by Chief Justice Earl Warren, declared that the Landrum-Griffin provision was a bill of attainder, and therefore unconstitutional.
- Judd Gregg in Bloomberg
It's basically targeted on a small group of people, which is technically a bill of attainder,Gregg said. "Even though it may be drafted to be broad, it's actually targeted."
- Jerrold Nadler in NPR
The court made the right decision in this case,Nadler wrote me in an e-mail. "I am gratified that my analysis of the punitive and blatantly unconstitutional bill of attainder has been vindicated by the judiciary."
- Laurence Tribe in USA Today
Tribe said "the pitchfork mentality" surrounding the House bill may make it "at least potentially vulnerable to attack under the bill of attainder clause."