- n the largest continent with 60% of the earth's population; it is joined to Europe on the west to form Eurasia; it is the site of some of the world's earliest civilizations
- n the nations of the Asian continent collectively
- Barack Obama in guardian.co.uk
North Korea is directly and recklessly challenging the international community,Obama said in a statement. "North Korea's behaviour increases tensions and undermines stability in north-east Asia."
- Hu Jintao in guardian.co.uk
Still, Hu agreed with Lee that the "rocket launch would negatively affect peace and stability in Northeast Asia and there should be a discussion among related countries" after it takes place, Lee's office said.
- Jacob Zuma in The Associated Press
South Africa is a center between the emerging markets of Central and South America and the newly industrialized nations of South and Far East Asia,Zuma said.