asceticism : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the doctrine that through renunciation of worldly pleasures it is possible to achieve a high spiritual or intellectual state
- n the trait of great self-denial (especially refraining from worldly pleasures)
- n rigorous self-denial and active self-restraint
- As opportunities opened for women in the 1960s and '70s, fewer of them viewed the asceticism and confinements of religious life as a tempting career choice.
- What he has is charismathe visionary smile and a talent for asceticism.
- Some of them carried their asceticism as far as the endurasuicide by self-starvation.
News & Articles
- Buddhist Monks Are Having a Louis Vuitton Scandal
A viral video showing Buddhist monks in a private jet, enjoying extravagance like a monogram-print Louis Vuitton tote and stylish sunglasses, has Thailand's Buddhists in uproar over youth, greed, the decline of asceticism. (Who do these monks think they are, Drake?) The director-general of Thailand's Office of National Buddhism has reprimanded ... More »
June 17, 2013 - New York Magazine