- n a type of cell death in which the cell uses specialized cellular machinery to kill itself; a cell suicide mechanism that enables metazoans to control cell number and eliminate cells that threaten the animal's survival
- Over the next several years, the trio amassed enough evidence about the herb's anticancer properties in lab tests of animals and breast-cancer cells, BZL101 caused apoptosis .
- In preliminary laboratory studies, ellagic acid seemed to trigger a process known as apoptosis, in which cancer cells kill themselves.
- They were interested in prolonging fertility, but as experts in cell death, or apoptosis, they were looking for ways to keep the limited supply of eggs limping along longer.
- Jerry Adams in PR Newswire (press release)
Professor Adams explains, "Our research at WEHI has produced an encouraging series of small molecule drug candidates that we believe should stimulate apoptosis and aid cancer treatment. When we have a compound that shows activity in pre-clinical...