- n broad-leaved evergreen Asiatic shrub with glossy leaves and drooping clusters of white flowers
- n any of several shrubs of the genus Andromeda having leathery leaves and clusters of small flowers
- n (Greek mythology) an Ethiopian princess and daughter of Cassiopeia; she was fastened to a rock and exposed to a sea monster that was sent by Poseidon, but she was rescued by Perseus and became his wife
- n a constellation in the northern hemisphere between Cassiopeia and Pegasus; contains the Andromeda galaxy
News & Articles
- Belching Black Hole Eats Gas and Burps X-rays
The Andromeda Galaxy just next door is home to a lot of new -- and rude -- star remnants
June 20, 2013 - Time Magazine
- Black Hole Bonanza! Dozens (Potentially) Found In Andromeda As Another Study Probes X-Rays
More than two DOZEN potential black holes have been found in the nearest galaxy to our own. As if that find wasn’t enough, another research group is teaching us why extremely high-energy X-rays are present in black holes. (...)Read the rest of Black Hole Bonanza! Dozens (Potentially) Found In Andromeda As Another Study Probes X-Rays [...]
June 17, 2013 - Universe Today
- NASA's Chandra Turns Up Black Hole Bonanza In Galaxy Next Door
Twenty-Six Of The Phenomena Identified Over The Past 13 Years In Andromeda Using data from NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory, astronomers have discovered an unprecedented bonanza of black holes in the Andromeda Galaxy, one of the nearest galaxies to the Milky Way. Using more than 150 Chandra observations, spread over 13 years, researchers identified 26 black hole candidates, the largest number to ...
June 16, 2013 - The Aero-News Network
- Karl Gebhardt in ScienceBlog.com (blog)
Before this observation, we had only one example of an intermediate-mass black hole - in the globular cluster G1, in the nearby Andromeda Galaxy, said astronomer Karl Gebhardt of the University of Texas at Austin, USA, and a member of the team...
- George F Smoot in San Jose Mercury News
They make a really spectacular galaxy, a really big one like our own galaxy or Andromeda,Smoot said.
- Missy Peregrym in Toronto Sun
Probably ...... you're totally right,said Peregrym, pausing to consider the theory. "I mean, my first role was Dark Angel. Then there was Andromeda and I was the tough chick. You're right, that's what it is. Anyway, it's nice now to be...