amnesty : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a period during which offenders are exempt from punishment
- n a warrant granting release from punishment for an offense
- n the formal act of liberating someone
- v grant a pardon to (a group of people)
- The President offered amnesty to the rebels if they were ready to abjure violence and give up their arms.
- The concept of tax amnesty is often resented by honest tax paying citizens.
- The government granted amnesty to all political prisoners on the occasion of Independence Day.
News & Articles
- Which players could be released via the amnesty clause this summer?
The amnesty provision provides a mulligan in a league where mistakes are costly and rampant. Who could be dumped under the clause this summer? Rob Mahoney examines.
June 12, 2013 - Sports Illustrated
- Montco child support amnesty program runs through June 14
The Montgomery County child support amnesty program is underway, offering those who are delinquent in paying child support in the county the chance to avoid penalties and possible prosecution. The county sheriff's department is offering the amnesty program through this Friday, June 14. Those who owe child support payments should turn themselves in during business hours (8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m ...
June 12, 2013 - The Mercury
- Amnesty International USA Names NAACP'S Steven W. Hawkins as Executive Director
NEW YORK, June 11, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Amnesty International USA's (AIUSA) Board of Directors announced today that it has named Steven W. Hawkins as executive director. As Executive Vice President and Chief Program Officer of the NAACP, Hawkins is a nationally renowned attorney and grassroots advocacy leader at the forefront of social justice issues, including death penalty abolition ...
June 11, 2013 - PR Newswire via Yahoo! News
- Mitch McConnell in USA Today
The president can make progress on this issue, but it will take more than a speech,the top Senate Republican said. "If he would take amnesty off the table and make a real commitment to border and interior security, he will find strong...
- Arlen Specter in Forbes
Anticipating criticism from conservatives, Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., said, "It is not amnesty. This will restore the rule of law."
- Carlos Gutierrez in FOXNews
It's not amnesty. They're going to have to pay a penalty,Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez said. "They're going to have to wait in line. They're going to have to undergo a criminal background check."