- n an increase by natural growth or addition
- n something contributing to growth or increase
he scraped away the accretions of paint
the central city surrounded by recent accretions
- n (astronomy) the formation of a celestial object by the effect of gravity pulling together surrounding objects and gases
- n (biology) growth by addition as by the adhesion of parts or particles
- n (geology) an increase in land resulting from alluvial deposits or waterborne sediment
- n (law) an increase in a beneficiary's share in an estate (as when a co-beneficiary dies or fails to meet some condition or rejects the inheritance)
- There are those who believe - with some good reason - that the accretion of legalized vices is debilitating.
- But as Johnson notes, the Twitter platform is ultimately about an accretion of tweets, the way hundreds of thousands of pixels form a detailed and complex digital image.
- But the slow accretion of data and evidence eventually eliminates reasonable doubt.
News & Articles
- Podcast: Accretion Discs
When too much material tries to come together, everything starts to spin and flatten out. You get an accretion disc. Astronomers find them around newly forming stars, supermassive black holes and many other places in the Universe. Today we’ll talk about what it takes to get an accretion disc, and how they help us understand [...]
July 11, 2013 - Universe Today
- Roger Penske in Business Wire (press release)
People have been looking for multiple asteroid systems for a long time, because binary asteroid systems in the main belt seem to be common and formation scenarios, such as a collision between two asteroids followed by disruption and re-accretion,... Franck Marchis http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franck_Marchis&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNG1M2X0BxxnKgpDKJg2INS6K-Q2zQ CNN International http://www.google.com/url?q=http://edition.cnn.com/2005/TECH/space/08/11/asteroid.trio/&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNH4FYu5OVvNOiGt_B3W1z9eUHcqUA Aug 11, 2005
762 1125 accretion Penske Automotive Group Chairman Roger Penske said, We view the opportunity to invest in PTL as an outstanding use of capital. In addition to expected earnings accretion, we anticipate significant cash flow from partnership operating distributions...
- Sergei Kopeikin in PhysOrg.com
If the existence of the gravitomagnetic field is confirmed, then our understanding of general relativity is correct and can be used to explain things such as quasar jets and accretion disks in black holes,said Sergei Kopeikin, associate...