- n the state of being absent
he was surprised by the absence of any explanation
- n failure to be present
- n the time interval during which something or somebody is away
he visited during my absence
- n the occurrence of an abrupt, transient loss or impairment of consciousness (which is not subsequently remembered), sometimes with light twitching, fluttering eyelids, etc.; common in petit mal epilepsy
- That absence seems to have started at almost precisely the time she began tending the poor and dying in Calcutta, and except for a five-week break in 1959 never abated.
- The closer Galactica came to Earth, the closer it came to God or gods, or the absence thereof.
- Given the absence of absolutely identifiable sources, we set about verifying the documents to the greatest extent possible.
- Michael Hayden in International Herald Tribune
The CIA also decided to destroy the tapes in "the absence of any legal or internal reason to keep them," Hayden wrote.
- Margaret Chan in 2point6billion
Ms. Chan said: "On present evidence, the overwhelming majority of patients experience mild symptoms and make a rapid and full recovery, often in the absence of any form of medical treatment."
- Lute Olson in Forbes
After consultation with my famiy, I have decided to extend my leave of absence for the remainder of the current basketball season,Olson said.