- s ostentatiously lofty in style
- s abnormally distended especially by fluids or gas
- Her subjects have included the shortage of lemons, the turgid proceedings of the Cuban parliament and the slowness of meaningful reforms by Ral Castro.
- But it is hard to believe that she would have been invited to appear on the Today show to promote her turgid novel, Embrace the Serpent, if Dan Quayle were just another golf-loving .
- The story becomes a standard guy-meets-God melodrama, heavy on the heartstrings and full of torrid and often turgid dialogue.
News & Articles
- Manchester City: Will Manuel Pellegrini Live Up to Roberto Mancini's Standard?
Manuel Pellegrini , still stuck on the starting blocks in his turgid race to become Manchester City 's manager, per The Guardian , may struggle to live up to the record accrued by his predecessor, Roberto Mancini. Why? Because history is littered with the corpses of the guy who followed "the guy." The closest we have in the States to the Premier League, in terms of popularity and sheer scale, is ...
June 14, 2013 - Bleacher Report
- Spain 2-0 Rep of Ireland: Soldado and Mata secure victory in New York friendly
The world and European champion overcame a turgid start and a spirited Irish outfit to seal a 2-0 win at Yankees Stadium ahead of this Sunday's Confederations Cup opener.
June 12, 2013 - Goal.com via Yahoo! Sports
- Winston Churchill in Canada Free Press
Notably, Mr. Churchill wrote that Hitler's Mein Kampf was "the new Koran of faith and war: turgid, verbose, shapeless, but pregnant with its message."
- Vladimir Putin in ABC News
Under the disguise of turgid declarations about freedom and open society, sometimes the sovereignty of certain states and whole regions is being destroyed,Putin said, in an apparent reference to US policy in the Middle East and in particular...
- Nick Easter in AFP
The first half was a bit turgid around the 10-metre lines. We tried to play a bit of rugby but defences are good at that stage,said Easter. "One area we need to work on is taking the points when we are down there. We have to turn pressure...