- n a member of the ancient Greek school of philosophy founded by Zeno
- n someone who is seemingly indifferent to emotions
- s seeming unaffected by pleasure or pain; impassive
a stoical sufferer
- a pertaining to Stoicism or its followers
- Peter stoicism kept him fairly equable through bankruptcy of his company and an accusation of treason.
- Married for 12 years and mother of two children, Maria has always been the loyal, stoic princess tirelessly fulfilling her royal duties .
- After her husband's death, Linda, on the surface is stoic, immovable but inside she's a cesspool of emotions sucking her into the depth of despair.
News & Articles
- Tiger Woods' Niece, Cheyenne, Crashes His Press Conference, Gets Dinner Date
Tiger Woods isn't one to break out into laughter when speaking with reporters, but that is exactly what happened when he was surprised with a question from his niece. Yahoo Sports' Eric Adelson reports on a brief moment of levity prior to the serious business of the U.S. Open beginning on Thursday. The usually stoic Woods was answering questions from the media on Tuesday in his usual serious ...
June 11, 2013 - Bleacher Report
- NBA playoffs: Spurs are soaking up the Finals fun
Miami » The NBA Finals. Just being here can be memorable -- and miserable. And surprise, it's those supposedly stoic Spurs who are having more fun, while the South Beach bunch is a little grumpy and grouchy.
June 11, 2013 - Carlsbad Current-Argus
- Monday's TV Best Bets
Sean King (Jon Tenney) and Michelle Maxwell (Rebecca Romijn), former secret-service agents, are detectives. She's strong, stoic and lethal. He's a lawyer, a recovering alcoholic and troubled.
June 10, 2013 - Port Clinton News Herald
- Paul Azinger in Reuters.uk
Ben has got that kind of demeanour we need on the Ryder Cup team,Azinger said. "He's a little more stoic, a little more subdued, but I like his personality. He's the type of guy that's going to just put his head down and barrel on. I've...
- Greg Norman in Sydney Morning Herald
I think the game of golf needs characters because it's gotten very stoic in a lot of ways,Norman said. "You don't see a whole lot of players showing their flair in a lot of ways. People need that, and golf needs that. It's tended to go...
- Manmohan Singh in Hindu Business Line
Citing media reports, Mr Roy, a Rajya Sabha MP, has written a letter to the Prime Minister Mr Manmohan Singh saying: "His actions in the boardroom of Satyam further accentuated by his stoic silence on various issues reflect an irresponsible role of...