- n (usually plural) a necessary commodity for which demand is constant
- n a natural fiber (raw cotton, wool, hemp, flax) that can be twisted to form yarn
staple fibers vary widely in length
- n material suitable for manufacture or use or finishing
- n a short U-shaped wire nail for securing cables
- n paper fastener consisting of a short length of U-shaped wire that can fasten papers together
- v secure or fasten with a staple or staples
staple the papers together
- s necessary or important, especially regarding food or commodities
wheat is a staple crop
- Today, millions of transistors, each costing far less than a staple, can be etched on wafers of silicon.
- Even singing, the national pastime and TV staple, seems reserved for an interchangeable lineup of warbling coquettes, husky crooners and jolly fellows in brass stars and epaulets .
- The house specialty is that sublime Sri Lankan staple, the hoppera wafer-thin, bowl-shaped pancake with a crisp surround and soft spongy center.
News & Articles
- Go over options in choosing kids bikes
Bikes were once a Christmas-morning staple, but in recent years, more parents have been buying them for their children in the warmer months, said Jim Strang, owner of Spokes Etc., a Virginia bicycle store.
June 13, 2013 - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette
- A Staple of the Global Consumer Foods Industry
A Staple of the Global Consumer Foods Industry
June 10, 2013 - The Motley Fool
- Learn the art of upholstery from 'Style, Stitch, Staple'
Style, Stitch, Staple: Basic Upholstering Skills to Tackle Any Projectby Hannah Stanton is published by Running Press and sells for $23 in softcover.
June 10, 2013 - Everett Herald
- AG Lafley in International Herald Tribune
Virtually everything we sell is not discretionary; it's a staple,Lafley said in a conference call. "You have to go to the bathroom. You have to get up in the morning and brush your teeth. You've got to shower. You've got to shave .........
- LaDainian Tomlinson in USA Today
It kind of got us going,Tomlinson said. "It was something we needed and it was a big play for us. It was a staple of our offense. It's been around for years, old power. It was perfectly blocked and was just a great job of execution."