- a experiencing or marked by or expressing sorrow especially that associated with irreparable loss
a sorrowful tale of death and despair
even in laughter the heart is sorrowful"- Proverbs 14:13
- I feel personally sorrowful about black-white relations a lot of the time because black people have always been used as a buffer in .
- It would be a sorrowful picture except for the fact that Lincoln's mouth is turned ever so slightly into a smile.
- But Dinkins would go around with a long, sorrowful face that deflected blame, while Giuliani lashes out and invites it.
- Pope Benedict XVI in FOXNews
Benedict said Rahho's dedication to the Catholic Church and his death compelled him to "raise a strong and sorrowful cry" to denounce the violence in Iraq spawned by the war that began five years ago this week.
- Ehud Olmert in USA Today
Israel's acting prime minister, Ehud Olmert, said Wednesday he hoped Palestinians would not "choose again the extremists who have led them from tragedy to tragedy and to sorrowful lives."
- Seiji Ozawa in AFP
His tenor was so distinguished that I could immediately recognise it whenever I heard his songs at places like restaurants,Ozawa said. "It is very sorrowful that I will never again be able to hear his voice."