- s marked by excessive complacency or self-satisfaction
a smug glow of self-congratulation
- There was a great episode of South Park in which the environment is threatened by a massive "cloud of smug" generated by hybrid-car drivers.
- The Globe not only on its editorial page but also in its news columns is an abscess of smug, unexamined left-wing assumption, which is just as unhealthy as smug, unexamined .
- Critics have described the loosely defined group as smug, full of contradictions and, ultimately, the dead end of Western civilization.
News & Articles
- Erik Spoelstra After Game 3 Meltdown: 'We Got What We Deserved'
Following up a 19-point win in Game 2 with a 36-point loss in Game 3 is not what the Miami Heat had in mind. Erik Spoelstra 's comments following the game hinted at just that—and a little bit more. After the dust had settled and Spoelstra was forced to make what I'm sure was a dreaded trip to the postgame press conference, it seemed as if the Heat head coach was almost a bit smug with his ...
June 12, 2013 - Bleacher Report
- Some More Downside Needed
I took a lot of criticism after last weekend’s letter, especially on Monday with gold and silver rising. I was called arrogant and smug and worse and told to throw out the charts.
June 9, 2013 - GoldSeek.com
- Video: Extremist Anti-Bike Share Columnist Doubles Down On Crazy Rhetoric
Last week, an out-of-touch reactionary conservative claiming to "represent the majority of citizens" preached about how Citi Bike has destroyed everything good and beautiful about NYC in an inflammatory piece titled, "Death By Bicycle" —a piece in which Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist Dorothy Rabinowitz came across as smug, paranoid, and a little bit insane. We along with lots of other sites ...
June 8, 2013 - Gothamist
- Anthony Minghella in Washington Post
Marcello is not content to be blessed with a marvelous voice. This is no smug tenor,said Anthony Minghella, who directed him in the Met "Butterfly" performances as the American sailor Benjamin Franklin Pinkerton, a role that requires the...
- Jamie Oliver in Telegraph.co.uk
But Oliver replied: "Get lost you idiot im dislexic and i cant spell so stick that in your pipe! its better than being smug."
- Ricky Gervais in MSNBC
It sounds very smug,says Gervais, not sounding smug at all as he surveys his career, "but I didn't compromise myself. I would rather work in a bar than do something I wouldn't be proud of."