slapstick : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a boisterous comedy with chases and collisions and practical jokes
- n acoustic device consisting of two paddles hinged together; used by an actor to make a loud noise without inflicting injury when striking someone
- s characterized by horseplay and physical action
slapstick style of humor
- Straight man Bud Abbott and whiny hustler Lou Costello combined their slapstick and pratfalls with a gleefully misanthropic sensibility; no one could be trusted, even, or .
- This military-doctor comedy daringly combined zany humor--equal parts Marx Brothers slapstick and high-class wordplay--with dark drama, as when the war claimed the life of the base .
- Under current rules, producers and directors often find their artistic visions held hostage by the whims of the police, whose tastes run to head-spinning violence and slapstick .
News & Articles
- Kevin Hart Set to Star in New Comedy for Screen Gems, Miramax
*Step aside Eddie Murphy, there’s a new designated black comedian in Tinseltown—and his name is Kevin Hart. Seemingly overnight, the Philadelphia native, and master purveyor of slapstick humor, has become one of Hollywood’s hottest entrees. Next up for Hart is a new untitled comedy written by Jeremy Garelick and Jay Lavander, co-creators of “The Break-Up,” [...]
June 12, 2013 - EURweb
- 'This is the End' is rude, crude -- and funny ??? 1/2
The "Hangover" movies, even the third one no one defends, barely qualify as comedies in the traditional sense. They're more like grimy action pictures with a joke or two tossed in to avoid the charge of false labeling. Their ugliness of spirit compounds a disinterest in verbal jokes and a reliance on brutality (which isn't the same as artfully violent slapstick), and nobody involved seems to ...
June 11, 2013 - Orlando Sentinel
- Safety Last! (Blu-ray)
DVD Talk Collector Series In 10 Words or Less Harold LLoyd in one of the best silent comedies ever Reviewer's Bias* Loves: Classic comedies Likes: Harold Lloyd, good slapstick Dislikes: Most silent films Hates: Most modern slapstick The Movie If you ask most film fans who the biggest name in comedy of the silent-film era, most will likely say either Charlie Chaplin or Buster Keaton. Either name ...
June 11, 2013 - DVD Talk