- v cause to be quiet or not talk
- v keep from expression, for example by threats or pressure
All dissenters were silenced when the dictator assumed power
- a reduced to silence
the silenced crowd waited expectantly
- Then I looked to the great editors of the newspapers whose flaming editorials in days gone by had proclaimed their love of freedom; but they, like the universities, were silenced .
- The ship was not expected to survive the punishing climate for long and in November, the encroaching darkness and cold of the Martian winter silenced it for good.
- Now-silenced critics once called Elihu Root cold, legalistic, a man whose loyalties and sympathies and passions were solely of the mind.
News & Articles
- Downtown Memphis sees construction crews return
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — The Great Recession silenced construction crews throughout the Memphis area, and that was especially evident Downtown, where ambitious, skyline-changing projects were put on hold, reconfigured or scrapped altogether. But after some tentative first steps in an uncertain recovery, the sounds of commerce have returned as bulldozers and cranes creep back to life. Construction ...
June 17, 2013 - WDEF Chattanooga
- Montana Sports Briefs: Electrics drop two; golfer Bartell repeats
Jason Thibault silenced the Great Falls Electrics bats with a three-hitter and struck out seven to pace the Glasgow Reds to a 10-0 thumping over the Electrics in a Billings Invitational tournament game Sunday.
June 17, 2013 - Great Falls Tribune
- Loggers batter Express
EAU CLAIRE — If the last-place Express had any ideas of building off Saturday’s win over first-place La Crosse, the Loggers offense silenced those thoughts in a hurry on Sunday.
June 17, 2013 - La Crosse Tribune
- David Banner in Ninemsn
If by some stroke of the pen hip-hop was silenced, the issues would still be present in our communities,rapper and record producer David Banner, whose real name is Levell Crump, said in a prepared statements to a House Energy and Commerce...
- Lance Bass in Gay Socialites (blog)
I think it's time for me to stand up ...... and help educate, because I'm lucky enough to have been given a voice to be able to talk and grab the attention of people,Lance said... "Everyday, thousands of students are silenced. They're...
- James Conlon in Jewish Telegraphic Agency
The Third Reich silenced two generations of composers, the greatest single rupture in what had been a centuries-long stream of German classical music,Conlon said in a statement quoted by Playbillarts.com. "We have a special opportunity at...