- s extremely harmful; bringing physical or financial ruin
a ruinous course of action
- s causing injury or blight; especially affecting with sudden violence or plague or ruin
a ruinous war
- Decades of ruinous environmental policies have turned the delicate grasslands of central China into desert.
- It could well set a new pattern of ruinous civil service strikes.
- If this vital precipitation were ever cut off by man's interference with such storms, the results might be ruinous for farmers, industry and drinking-water supplies.
News & Articles
- Carl Hiaasen
Carl Hiaasen was born and raised in Florida. He is the author of such novels as the bestselling NATURE GIRL, SKINNY DIP, SICK PUPPY and LUCKY YOU, and three bestselling children’s books, HOOT, FLUSH and SCAT. His most recent work of nonfiction is THE DOWNHILL LIE: A Hacker’s Return to a Ruinous Sport. He also writes a weekly column for The Miami Herald.
June 22, 2013 - Book Reporter
- As wildfires rage, US cuts funding on prevention
A combination of government austerity and the ballooning cost of battling the ruinous fires has taken a bite out of federal efforts to remove the dead trees and flammable underbrush that clog Western forests. Read more
June 19, 2013 - Columbia Missourian
- Protect yourself from serious medical conditions
A recent brush with death offers key lessons about how staying healthy can stave off financially ruinous health care costs
June 19, 2013 - CBS News
- Kenneth Starr in Guardian Unlimited
But Starr said she made a reasonable, on-the-spot decision that, even if wrong, should not subject her to a "potentially ruinous damages award."
- Christopher Buckley in Washington Post
Instead, as Christopher Buckley pointed out in a blog post on thedailybeast.com explaining his departure from National Review, eight years of "conservatism" have brought us "a doubled national debt, ruinous expansion of entitlement programs, bridges...
- LK Advani in Hindu Business Line
This can lead to ruinous consequences. Our economic policy must therefore ensure productive employment to every able-bodied individual, Advani said. "We are in a period of increasing unemployment"