- n an enlisted man of the lowest rank in the Army or Marines
our prisoner was just a private and knew nothing of value
- a confined to particular persons or groups or providing privacy
a private place
a private club
a private secretary
the former President is now a private citizen
public figures struggle to maintain a private life
- s concerning things deeply private and personal
private family matters
- s concerning one person exclusively
each room has a private bath
- s not expressed
secret (or private) thoughts
- A surprising new study finds that private schools don't improve students' performance over those in public school.
- The other day I was honored to receive the first-ever Maxwell Smart Prize for Mediocrity in Financial Journalism, from the private-equity blog Going Private.
- On a windy day at Farnborough airport outside London, a line of private jets rolls to the runway, ready to carry Europe's lite through their rarefied world.
- Barack Obama in Canada Free Press
Obama has already made an attempt to evade personal responsibility for his own surge strategy when he said a couple of weeks ago "War is bigger than any one man or woman, whether a Private, or General or a President."
- Joe Barton in BusinessWeek
I'm ashamed of what happened in the White House,Representative Joe Barton of Texas said today as the energy panel began a hearing on the oil spill. "It is a tragedy of the first proportion that a private corporation can be subjected to...
- Tiger Wood in GolfDigest.com
I'm human and I'm not perfect,Woods said in the half-dozen words that seemed most from the heart, and, "This is a private matter and I want to keep it that way," in the baker's dozen that captured his mindset not only in the wake of an...