- n a body of (usually fresh) water surrounded by land
- n a purplish red pigment prepared from lac or cochineal
- n any of numerous bright translucent organic pigments
- The planet's oldest, deepest and largest lake, Baikal is about the size of Belgium and accounts for a fifth of the world's freshwater reserves.
- lake is not a cop.
- Trash from the McMansions of the nouveaux riches once threatened to poison an already troubled lake.
News & Articles
- Lake Zurich cops back to delivering board packets
Lake Zurich Mayor Thomas Poynton is defending his move to reinstate the practice of police officers delivering village board documents to elected officials' homes. A trustee this week questioned whether that is a wise use of village resources. "I just felt that as trustees -- the $3,000-a-year stipend and very few other benefits to this job -- it was small 'pay' for the job and the type of hours ...
June 20, 2013 - Daily Herald
- Lake Arcadia reopens as water recedes
The lake had been closed since June 1 because of high water.
June 20, 2013 - The Oklahoman
- Lake Region State College celebrates new wind turbine
Lake Region State College in Devils Lake dedicated its brand new 1.3 megawatt wind turbine Wednesday afternoon. The ceremony marks the end of more than a decade of work to bring the turbine to Devils Lake.
June 19, 2013 - WDAZ 8 Grand Forks
- Sasha Cohen in AFP
I?m very disappointed I won?t be able to compete in Lake Placid,Cohen said. "I?ve been going to physical therapy and training with every intention of being healthy and ready for this competition."
- Dick Durbin in Chicago Breaking News - Tribune
Last week's discovery of an Asian carp in Lake Calumet was a wake-up call that we need to do more and we need to do it quickly,said US Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Illinois, who cosponsored the Senate bill. "We can't wait while the Army Corps of...
- Eric Heiden in Brownsville Herald
Myself and everybody here thought it was finished and done with,Heiden said. "Typical short track. It's never over 'til it's over. It's sort of deja vu with what happened in Salt Lake City with Bradbury."