kuru : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a progressive disease of the central nervous system marked by increasing lack of coordination and advancing to paralysis and death within a year of the appearance of symptoms; thought to have been transmitted by cannibalistic consumption of diseased brain tissue since the disease virtually disappeared when cannibalism was abandoned
- Kuru was first noted in 1951.
- No authentic kuru victim has recovered.
- It now seems certain that kuru was the result of a slow-acting virus, transmitted from one Fore to another by cannibalism.
News & Articles
- SDSU professors talk Egyptian turmoil
San Diego State’s Center for Islamic and Arabic Studies held a four-professor panel Tuesday evening about the turmoil in Egypt inside a packed lecture hall. Professors Farid Abdel-Nour, Hisham Foad, Ahmet Kuru, and Ghada Osman gave presentations on the various aspects of the political conflict in Egypt. Though they mentioned many different factions during their […]
Sept. 13, 2013 - The Daily Aztec