- n common American spring-flowering woodland herb having sheathing leaves and an upright club-shaped spadix with overarching green and purple spathe producing scarlet berries
- n common European arum with lanceolate spathe and short purple spadix; emerges in early spring; source of a starch called arum
- This is particularly true with her flower paintings: magnified closeups, filling the whole surface, of a black iris, a jack-in-the-pulpit, or a calla lily.
- The male part of the jack-in-the-pulpit allows mosquitoes to escape by opening a small hatch.
News & Articles
- At the Clark, Stone Hill Center celebrates 5 years
Two hundred years ago, Ito Jakuchu painted cherry blossom so fine a brush-stroke forms a petal. A hundred years ago, Georgia O'Keeffe painted a Jack-in-the-pulpit with embers in its hood.
July 25, 2013 - Berkshire Eagle