irony : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n witty language used to convey insults or scorn
irony is wasted on the stupid
- n incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs
the irony of Ireland's copying the nation she most hated
- n a trope that involves incongruity between what is expected and what occurs
- irony really is dead, you might mark its toe tag May 10, 2000, launch date of http:Inside.
- Mixing rock, rap, irony, and lap dancing, they proved that hip hop still has a sense of humor, and they let everyone in on the joke.
- What does this exercise show you about the way irony works? What previous knowledge must a reader or viewer have in order to appreciate irony?.
News & Articles
- Hotel Of The Day: Mokara & Spa
What: Though it?s Texas? second-largest city, San Antonio isn?t renowned for its luxurious accommodations. But in a display of geographic irony, the quiet metropolis is home to Mokara Hotel & Spa, one of the finest properties in the Lone Star State. Once the Frank Saddlery in the 1800s, the 99-room Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star hotel walks with one cowboy boot steeped in its past (a front desk ...
June 12, 2013 - Forbes
- Hungover Links: 40 Jäger Shots, Guys Don't Use Soap & More
The irony of these mugshots is impeccablevia theCHIVE While you were drinking... Only 5% of people wash their hands properly after using the bathroom. And half of guys don't use soap! Drop Shakespeare's best pickup lines before you drop an invite to "Much Ado About Nothing." "Man of Steel" looks awesome. Not so awesome? [...]
June 12, 2013 - MTV
- Your biggest secrets are up for grabs
The great irony of the government spying controversy is that even America's state-of-the-art spy agency could not keep secret the fact that it might be spying on our secrets.
June 11, 2013 - CNN
- Sheriff Joe Arpaio in SI.com
The irony is he did a great job with these kids -- stay away from drugs, don't drink, stay out of trouble,Arpaio said.
- Valerie Plame in USA Today
It was a terrible irony that administration officials were the ones who destroyed my cover,Wilson told the panel. "Furthermore, testimony in the criminal trial of Vice President Cheney's former chief of staff, who has now been convicted of...
- President Bush in USA Today
See, the irony is that what they need to do is get Syria to get Hezbollah to stop doing this s-- and it's over,Bush said.