infection : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the pathological state resulting from the invasion of the body by pathogenic microorganisms
- n (phonetics) the alteration of a speech sound under the influence of a neighboring sound
- n (medicine) the invasion of the body by pathogenic microorganisms and their multiplication which can lead to tissue damage and disease
- n an incident in which an infectious disease is transmitted
- n the communication of an attitude or emotional state among a number of people
the infection of his enthusiasm for poetry
- n moral corruption or contamination
ambitious men are led astray by an infection that is almost unavoidable
- n (international law) illegality that taints or contaminates a ship or cargo rendering it liable to seizure
- The staph strains responsible for these infections, experts speculate, may be more aggressive, and potentially deadlier, than strains circulating in hospitals, in part because .
- Heide Benser Corbis So why do infections tend to go up in the cold winter months and level off in the summer? According to a study from researchers at Mount Sinai Medical School .
- The new study showed that BLT mice were susceptible to vaginal HIV infection, just like humans, and that the symptoms of their infection looked a lot like they did in people a .
- Margaret Chan in Reuters
This is the true alarm bell. This tells us that resistant strains are now circulating in the general population, spreading widely and largely silently in a growing pool of latent infection,director-general Margaret Chan said. "Obviously...
- Micah Richards in The Sun
Last night Micah told The Sun: "At first I thought it was a really bad chest infection, or maybe alcohol poisoning. I felt so weak that I couldn't move or eat. My friends had to bring me drinks in bed. When I was told I had swine flu all sorts of...
- Kevin De Cock in FOX News
The recommendations represent a significant step forward in HIV prevention,said Dr. Kevin De Cock, director of WHO's HIV/AIDS department. "Countries with high rates of heterosexual HIV infection and low rates of male circumcision now have...