idly : Definition, Usages, News and More
- r in an idle manner
this is what I always imagined myself doing in the south of France, sitting idly, drinking coffee, watching the people
- As the Hills watched, first idly and then in terrified astonishment, one of the stars detached itself Tom the firmament and came down to earthso near that the Hills could see .
- In practice, he stands idly under the backboard sucking on a lollipop, dropping ball after ball into the 10-ft.
- A new study suggests that idly doodling during meetings or boring lectures helps people pay attention and retain more information.
News & Articles
- Samuel Rodriguez: Martin Luther King and the eternal truth of 'social issues'
MLK's letter from jail exhorts America’s faithful not to stand idly by but to work tirelessly for every law that “squares with the moral law or the law of God," even when unpopular.
June 13, 2013 - Washington Post
- Bruins vs. Blackhawks: Rask Gives Boston Advantage in Stanley Cup Finals
The silver chalice stands idly by, awaiting its travel schedule to either Boston or Chicago. For Boston, the man between the pipes has every intention of returning it to Beantown. Tuukka Rask posted some memorable numbers in Boston’s sweep of the Pittsburgh Penguins , and he’ll be the key for the Bruins against the high-flying Hawks. As the backup to Tim Thomas during Boston’s Stanley Cup ...
June 11, 2013 - Bleacher Report
- Marco Rubio Not Afraid of Hard Work | Overheard
I didn't come to the Senate to sign on to a bunch of letters and give a speech once a week on the floor.-- Florida Republican Marco Rubio pauses, during a heated defense of the immigration overhaul, to explain that he didn't battle his way into the World's Greatest Deliberative Body just to sit idly by on the sidelines.
June 11, 2013 - CQ Politics
- Barack Obama in New York Times
I will never question the patriotism of others in this campaign,Mr. Obama said, speaking over the applause of hundreds of supporters. "And I will not stand idly by when I hear others question mine."
- Julia Gillard in BBC News
I believe fundamentally that the basic education and health services that Australians rely on, and their decent treatment at work, is at risk at the next election,she said. "I love this country, and I was not going to sit idly by and watch...
- Sander Levin in The Associated Press
We are a community of people. When people lose their jobs and can't find them, we don't stand and simply stand idly by,Levin said.