hysteria : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n state of violent mental agitation
- n excessive or uncontrollable fear
- n neurotic disorder characterized by violent emotional outbreaks and disturbances of sensory and motor functions
- The North Carolina-Virginia epidemic of infantile paralysis last week threatened to stir up an epidemic of hysteria.
- Wall Street last week made some history and some hysteria.
- The radio play itself became a textbook example of mass hysteria: in 1940, Princeton psychologist Hadley Cantril used an analysis of listeners' reactions to posit that social .
News & Articles
- Fox’s Brit Hume Dismisses NSA Uproar As ‘Misplaced Hysteria’: ‘There Haven’t Been Any Abuses’
Appearing on FoxNews.com Tuesday afternoon, Fox senior political analyst Brit Hume dismissed the uproar over the National Security Agency's snooping revelations as "misplaced hysteria," adding that he sees no "abuse" whatsoever in what has been revealed. If anything, he said, NSA leaker Edward Snowden is the one who committed an abuse.
June 12, 2013 - Mediaite
- Why Can't You Rent A Citi Bike For 45 Minutes? Capitalism, Man
[UPDATE BELOW] Citi Bike hysteria has largely abated, but that doesn't mean cyclists aren't still adapting to the system's quirks. I experienced my first annoyance this weekend when trying to pedal from Battery Park City to Rockefeller Center, and realized somewhere around Hudson River Park that I had a better chance of sprouting wings than making it there in my allotted 30 minutes. Annoyed, I ...
June 11, 2013 - Gothamist
- Now That The Truth About Government Internet Spying Is Coming Out, The Hysteria Is Dying Down
As the actual details of the government's data collection under its "PRISM" intelligence program are emerging, the hysteria that followed the initial reports is, justifiably, dying down.
June 9, 2013 - Business Insider
- Pranab Mukherjee in FOXNews
Indian Foreign Minister Pranab Mukherjee said Saturday it was unfortunate that a "sort of war hysteria" has been created in Pakistan.
- Manmohan Singh in Reuters
Today even as Pakistan engages in whipping up war hysteria, our nation remains steadfastly united and if anything the process of national consolidation is becoming stronger,Singh told a security conference in New Delhi. "The terrorist...
- Vladimir Putin in CNN International
Putin, visiting Uzbekistan to promote the launch of a natural gas pipeline Tuesday, said that its response to ships would be "calm, without any sort of hysteria. But of course, there will be an answer," the Associated Press reported.