- n excessive velocity
the meteorites struck the earth with hypervelocity impacts
- The Milky Way's hypervelocity stars are probably outward bound too.
- But a hypervelocity missile that moves about as fast and can change its course in mid-flight or take evasive action will be almost "ultimately" hard to counter.
- This month's Jet Propulsion is devoted to hypervelocity flightthe perilous maneuvers of futuristic vehicles flying at 10,000 m.
News & Articles
- Could this hypervelocity coil launch ships into space?
The Slingatron is described as 'A railroad to space using a mechanical hypervelocity launcher.' (Credit: Kickstarter) If you read the endorsements from NASA scientists on Derek Tidman's book , his idea may seem a tad less wacky than at first blush. He thinks a massive, gyrating coil can speed up objects fast enough to give them escape velocity and send them into orbit. The book outlined the ...
July 23, 2013 - CNET
- Avi Loeb in Spaceflight Now
Computer models show that hypervelocity stars are naturally made near the galactic center,said theorist Avi Loeb of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. "We know that binaries exist. We know the galactic center holds a...