house : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a dwelling that serves as living quarters for one or more families
he has a house on Cape Cod
she felt she had to get out of the house
- n the members of a business organization that owns or operates one or more establishments
he worked for a brokerage house
- n the members of a religious community living together
- n the audience gathered together in a theatre or cinema
the house applauded
he counted the house
- n an official assembly having legislative powers
a bicameral legislature has two houses
- n aristocratic family line
- n play in which children take the roles of father or mother or children and pretend to interact like adults
the children were playing house
- n (astrology) one of 12 equal areas into which the zodiac is divided
- n the management of a gambling house or casino
the house gets a percentage of every bet
- n a social unit living together
It was a good Christian household
I waited until the whole house was asleep
- n a building where theatrical performances or motion-picture shows can be presented
the house was full
- n a building in which something is sheltered or located
they had a large carriage house
- v contain or cover
This box houses the gears
- v provide housing for
The immigrants were housed in a new development outside the town
- As one iconic Modernist house opens to an eager public, others molder or are being bulldozed away.
- In 1929 he designed for Manhattan an apartment house of concrete, steel and glass more radical and inventive than any even proposed in functionalist Europe.
News & Articles
- House has tough questions about surveillance programs
The entire House of Representatives will get its first briefing Tuesday on the government's recently revealed top secret surveillance programs, while the man behind the leaks continues to hide out, presumably in Hong Kong.
June 12, 2013 - CNN
- House asks IRS about alleged medical records seizure
The House Energy and Commerce Committee sent a letter Tuesday to acting IRS Administrator Daniel Werfel requesting information about a 2011 agency search and seizure of as many as 60 million medical records from a California health care provider.
June 11, 2013 - Fox News
- House Speaker John Boehner: NSA Leaker a 'Traitor'
House Speaker John Boehner today called NSA leaker Edward Snowden a “traitor” who put Americans at risk by releasing classified information to the media. “He’s a traitor,” the highest ranking Republican in the House of Representatives said in an extensive interview with ABC News’ George...
June 11, 2013 - ABC News Blogs via Yahoo! News
- Joe Barton in Wall Street Journal (blog)
I apologize for using the term 'shakedown' with regard to yesterday's actions at the White House in my opening statement this morning, and I retract my apology to BP,Mr. Barton's statement said. "As I told my colleagues yesterday and said...
- Barack Obama in Sydney Morning Herald
Early this morning the House and Senate reached an agreement on a set of Wall Street reforms that represents 90 per cent of what I proposed when I took up this fight,Mr Obama said.