- n rupture in smooth muscle tissue through which a bodily structure protrudes
- Diaphragmatic hernia is a not uncommon rupture of the horizontal muscle which separates the heart and lungs from the stomach and intestines.
- Pope Pius XII suffered from a hiatus hernia for a long time before it was correctly diagnosed and treated, and the condition is by no means rare.
- Until Pope Pius XII fell ill in 1954, few people had ever heard of hiatal hernia and fewer knew what it was, although surprisingly many must have suffered from it.
News & Articles
- Sounders FC vs. Real Salt Lake, injury report (Osvaldo Alonso ruled out)
SOUNDERS FC: OUT — M Steve Zakuani (sports hernia surgery), GK Josh Ford (R knee surgery). QUESTIONABLE — M Osvaldo Alonso (L quad strain). REAL SALT LAKE: OUT — D Rich Balchan (L shoulder surgery), M John Stertzer (R shoulder surgery), D Chris Schuler (L foot pain), D Kwame Watson
June 21, 2013 - Seattle Times
- Justices reject medical malpractice agreement in patient’s death
In a medical malpractice case that stemmed from a man’s death after hernia surgery, the Florida Supreme Court on Thursday tossed out an agreement that would have sent the dispute to arbitration and limited damages.
June 21, 2013 - Jacksonville Daily Record
- Prostate cancer treatment tied to hernia risk
By Kerry Grens NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Prostate removal or radiation therapy to treat cancer is tied to two- to four-fold higher than usual risk of later having a hernia repaired, according to a new study. It's not clear why hernia repairs are more common among these men. There might be tissue damage caused by the cancer treatment, or perhaps doctors are finding hernias that might otherwise ...
June 19, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Steve Bruce in The Press Association
Manager Steve Bruce told the club's official website: "Craig is back training. He had a hernia operation three weeks ago, so he will be fine in a week's time. I don't think I will play him against Munster or Darlington and he will likely get his...
- Alec Baldwin in Seattle Post Intelligencer
I'm glad this isn't too heavy because I just had hernia surgery,Baldwin said after grabbing his trophy.
- Sam Allardyce in ITV.com
Allardyce said: "He has a 3cm tear in his abductor muscle and will see a specialist on Thursday to decide whether he will need a hernia operation or not. He will decide when he sees the specialists whether he needs the hernia operation or not."