hegira : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the flight of Muhammad from Mecca to Medina in 622 which marked the beginning of the Muslim era; the Muslim calendar begins in that year
- n a journey by a large group to escape from a hostile environment
- Only last year, many sociologists and psychiatrists dismissed the hippie hegira with a verbal flick of the wrist.
- It is the latest signpost in the Bush Administration's hegira from lunatic idealism to utter desperation in Iraq, and it comes at a crucial moment.
- But perhaps the most provocative thing Deng said on his hegira south was that, while good party members must "watch out for the right, they must mainly defend against the left.
- Karl Marx in The Statesman
However, in Notes on Indian History, Marx wrote: "Mussulman Conquest of India: First Arab entry into India AD 664 (year 44 of the Hegira): Arabs reached Kabul; in the same year Muhallab, an Arab general, raided India, advanced as far as Multan."