heartburn : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a painful burning sensation in the chest caused by gastroesophageal reflux (backflow from the stomach irritating the esophagus); symptomatic of an ulcer or a diaphragmatic hernia or other disorder
- Medically both heartburn and acid indigestion are vague terms, as hard to define precisely as to treat effectively.
- In Europe, pregnant women are given a common heartburn drug to treat nausea.
- Relief from heartburn has been provided for more than a century by antacids that include such familiar brands as Tums, Rolaids, Maalox and Mylanta, products that annually rack up .
News & Articles
- Pfizer settles Protonix patent case for $2.15B
Pfizer settles Protonix patent case for $2.15B NEW YORK (AP) — Two generic drugmakers will pay $2.15 billion to Pfizer and Takeda Pharmaceutical to settle a patent fight over the heartburn treatment Protonix. Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., one of the world's largest generic drugmakers, will pay $1.6 billion, while India's Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. will pay $550 million for selling ...
June 15, 2013 - seattlepi.com
- Tort Hell: Pfizer And A Lawsuit Over An Injury From A Generic
A few months ago, the Alabama Supreme Court issued a controversial ruling that Pfizer can be sued by a man who claimed he was injured by a generic version of its Reglan heartburn medicine, because the brand-name drugmaker purportedly failed to warn his physician about the risks. Now, the court has granted a request for a re-hearing in September to reverse what some say could become 'tort hell ...
June 14, 2013 - Forbes
- How do oysters spell climate change relief? A-N-T-A-C-I-D
Oyster hatcheries are dropping the equivalent of Tums and other antacids into water to make it easier for naked mollusk larvae to build their shells. The remedy is working, for now, to keep hatcheries in business and oyster bars well stocked with the slimy delicacies, a hatchery scientist said.Heartburn for the shellfish industry comes from ocean waters turning ever more corrosive as they absorb ...
June 14, 2013 - NBC NEWS
- Bob McDonnell in BusinessWeek
All the cuts gave me heartburn. All of them were difficult because I know that behind every cut there is a Virginian -- somebody in this room or somebody out of the 7.8 million people we have -- that might be affected by that,McDonnell said...
- Dale Earnhardt Jr in International Herald Tribune
Not too bad,said Earnhardt, who fell all the way from second to 33rd after hitting the wall. "The first part of the race, I didn't feel good at all. I drank so many fluids, I had heartburn and all kind of bad stuff going on in there. Then,...
- Mike Ross in The Miami Herald
Although 25 members of the coalition supported the original bill, Ross said "there is a lot of heartburn" among Blue Dog members because the added tax cuts that will worsen the federal deficit.