hackles : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a feeling of anger and animosity
having one's hackles or dander up
- n long slender feather on the necks of e.g. turkeys and pheasants
- v comb with a heckle
- Both analyses are true, as is the reality that the hackles remain much in evidence.
- Often jumped in to correct or clarify a point (although his familiar use of the moderator's first name may have raised the hackles of some observers and the moderator herself).
- There are also concerns among Democrats and Republicans over several last-minute provisions tacked onto the HSD bill, including one (which raised particular hackles) that provides .
News & Articles
- The Web Cookie Is Dying. Here's The Creepier Technology That Comes Next
It may raise hackles to think that U.S. intelligence officials might be monitoring your telephone and Internet communications, but for most of us it's only the marketers who are really interested in our everyday online activities. And with many billions of dollars at stake, companies are increasingly turning to more sophisticated techniques to identify potential clients and deliver relevant ...
June 17, 2013 - Forbes
- TSA Shames Teen Girl At LAX, Says ‘Cover Up’
With government agency overreach in the news, a report the TSA shamed a teen girl at LAX for her outfit is sure to raise some hackles today. According to her parents, the TSA shamed the teen, who is 15, over what appears to be a perfectly reasonable and even somewhat modest choice of attire —... Read more » TSA Shames Teen Girl At LAX, Says ‘Cover Up’ is a post from: The Inquisitr
June 17, 2013 - The Inquisitr
- Utah air quality regulators target hair spray
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah’s air quality regulators have taken a final step to ban the sale of aerosols like hair spray with high concentrations of hydrocarbons, raising the hackles of beauty salon owners. The limits on consumer goods are part of a plan to curb smog that can choke the greater Salt Lake City area. read more
June 11, 2013 - Standard-Examiner
- Qiangba Puncog in Reuters
The mob used methods that were extremely ruthless. It makes one's hackles rise,Qiangba Puncog, an ethnic Tibetan and the top government official in the region, told a news conference.
- Seth MacFarlane in Brandon Sun
I guess it's because this is the land of comedy,said MacFarlane, also an executive producer for the show. "This is where so many of the great comedians come from and you seem to see less people raising their hackles about jokes."
- Phil Jackson in USA Today
At some level, it's remarkable,Jackson said of Bryant's 93 points on consecutive nights. "At another level, it limits us, it hackles us a little bit because other players don't get in the flow, and they didn't get in the flow tonight."