- n an arm of a sea or ocean partly enclosed by land; larger than a bay
- n an unbridgeable disparity (as from a failure of understanding)
he felt a gulf between himself and his former friends
- n a deep wide chasm
- The day the whole world was watching the gulf war end was the moment the Senate Select Committee on Ethics chose to issue its long-delayed report on the Keating Five.
- Not surprisingly, gulf Arabs were contemptuous of the international effort to free Sarah Balabagan.
News & Articles
- Gulf Shi'ites fear rising sectarian rhetoric over Syria
By Sami Aboudi DUBAI (Reuters) - Shi'ite Muslims in the Gulf, alarmed by the shrill sectarian rhetoric of some Sunni clerics after Lebanon's Hezbollah militia entered Syria's civil war, fear they will be blamed and may be victimized for the bloodshed. "Hate language is on the rise, in the press, on social media and even at lectures in mosques. Shi'ites in general are being blamed for what's ...
June 12, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Gulf Shores beaches reopen; Panama City beaches closed
Beaches in Gulf Shores have reopened under yellow-flag conditions after being closed when four men drowned in dangerous rip currents.
June 12, 2013 - WLBT 3 Jackson
- Gulf Shores Beaches Reopen After Four Drownings
Beaches in Gulf Shores, Alabama, reopened Tuesday under yellow flags. Since Sunday, four people have drowned along beaches there. All of the victims got caught in powerful rip currents.
June 12, 2013 - ABC 26 New Orleans
- Barack Obama in Tampabay.com
Make no mistake,Obama said. "We will fight this spill with everything we've got for as long it takes. We will make BP pay for the damage their company has caused. And we will do whatever's necessary to help the Gulf Coast and its people...
- Joe Barton in Los Angeles Times (blog)
It's not a slush fund, not a shakedown,he said. "It was the government of the United States working to protect the most vulnerable citizens that we have in our country right now, the residents of the gulf."
- Henry Waxman in The Guardian
Waxman's letter concludes that BP must answer to the committee for possible "carelessness and complacency" that "inflicted a heavy toll on the Gulf, its inhabitants and the workers on the rig."