genus : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a general kind of something
ignore the genus communism
- n (biology) taxonomic group containing one or more species
- An expert primatologist, he was staring at an unknown genus of pygmy marmoset.
- One imagines that George Allen longs for the days when people thought macaca was just Latin for the macaque genus of monkeys and he still had a shot at, gulp, the White House.
- Experts at Sydney's Royal Botanic Gardens pronounced the finding a new genus and decided to keep the trees' location secret, since poachers would value its scarcity and thus .
News & Articles
- Beautiful Chinese Passion Flower Is Critically Endangered
Pensoft Publishers Passiflora is a genus of beautiful plants commonly known as the passion flowers or passion vines. The most famous representative of this group is the passion fruit, favorite to many. Passiflora contains around 530 species with native ranges throughout the southern United States and Mexico as well as Central and South America. In addition, there are 24 species of Passiflora ...
June 12, 2013 - redOrbit
- Attack Of The Gallinippers: Oversized Mosquitoes Expected To Invade Florida
redOrbit Staff & Wire Reports - Your Universe Online Giant mosquitoes are coming, and while they’re not exactly the sort of thing that you’d find in an Ed Wood movie, they are far larger than the garden-variety member of this insect genus and are said to pack a painful bite. In fact, these mosquitoes – which are known as gallinippers or Psorophora ciliata – are 20 times larger than their more ...
June 12, 2013 - redOrbit
- Francisco in Science Daily (press release)
Until now, the Eomyops genus was made up of a group of small species and one large one, but no intermediately-sized kinds such as Eomyops noeliae had been found, Francisco Javier Ruiz-SÃ¡nchez, lead author of the study published in the French...
- Russell Mittermeier in Environment News Service
The greater bamboo lemur is a unique species and the only member of an entire primate genus, making it probably the most endangered primate genus in the world, so this discovery is a real blessing for our efforts to save it from extinction,...
- Timothy Keating in CNN
They suffered no damage,Keating said. "But this is a kind of an unwritten law among seamen that if someone is in need, regardless of genus, phylum or species, you let them come in. You give them safe harbor. Jimmy Buffett has songs about...