- n an idea or conclusion having general application
- n the process of formulating general concepts by abstracting common properties of instances
- n reasoning from detailed facts to general principles
- n (psychology) transfer of a response learned to one stimulus to a similar stimulus
- Such a generalisation would never be made by any reasonable thinker who had something of worth to contribute.
- Vera Baird in Melbourne Herald Sun
I do not know what she is talking about, women hating women. This is a vast generalisation based on nothing, but unfortunately it is likely to have a deterrent effect,Ms Baird told The Daily Mail.
- Andrew Hilditch in CricInfo.com
It's far too much of a generalisation to say the side was too old,Hilditch told the Australian. "The facts are we had some key players not scoring runs at critical times and that can happen."
- Shabana Azmi in Hindustan Times
I don't want to hold a torch for terrorists, but Azamgarh has been a place of heroic intellectual struggles and a nerve centre of communist thinkers. This [the terror tag] is a sad generalisation,Shabana said.