garter : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a band (usually elastic) worn around the leg to hold up a stocking (or around the arm to hold up a sleeve)
- v fasten with or as if with a garter
- When first this order was ordain'd, my lords, Knights of the garter were of noble birth, Valiant and virtuous, full of haughty courage, Such as were grown to credit by the wars ;.
- Every British schoolboy learns that in 1348 the Countess of Salisbury embarrassingly shed a garter on a crowded, royal ballroom floor.
- One of England's mellowest legends concerns a Countess of Salisbury who found her garter slipping, in the merry, ardent days of Edward III (1312-77).